As it turns out, Ubuntu has moved to a newer release of CUPS, the Linux printing subsystem; as a result, Ubuntu 13.04 installs libcups2 instead of the libcupsy2 package Notes expects to find. So, the install falls flat on its face with a failed dependency.
If you don't mind a bit of debfile editing, you can fix this one yourself. Basically, we're going to go into the control file for the Notes .deb install file and fix that pesky little dependency. Here's what you need to do:
- Move the ibm-notes-9.0.i586.deb file into a temporary directory; I used ~/tmp/notes9
- Do a "raw" unpack of the debfile into a subdirectory, like so:
- dpkg-deb -R ibm-notes-9.0.i586.deb ./working
- Move into that subdirectory (~/tmp/notes9/working), then into the DEBIAN subdirectory
- Edit the file named 'control', change the one instance of 'libcupsy2' to 'libcups2', and save your changes.
- Move back up to the unpack directory (~/tmp/notes9/working) and issue this command:
- dpkg-deb -b ../ibm-notes-9.0-FIXED.i586.deb
- Now, move back up to the temporary directory (~/tmp/notes9), and you should see both .deb files.
- sudo dpkg -i ibm-notes-9.0-FIXED.i586.deb
- sudo dpkg -i ibm-sametime-9.0.i586.deb
- sudo dpkg -i ibm-feedreader-9.0.i586.deb
- sudo dpkg -i ibm-opensocial-9.0.i586.deb
- sudo dpkg -i ibm-cae-9.0.i586.deb
- sudo dpkg -i ibm-activities-9.0.i586.deb
UPDATE: I neglected to mention that I specifically tested print capabilities; I didn't notice any problems pointing Notes to libcups2 instead of libcupsy2...