Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Free Comic Book Day - Fun with Ink and Paper

Free Comic Book DayOK, I admit it; I've always loved comics and comic books.  My introduction to the medium came from my older cousins; whenever we'd spend an (otherwise boring, for me) afternoon or evening there, they'd take me down to the basement where they kept a decade's worth of comics.  I immersed myself in Legion of Super Heroes, Doctor Strange and countless other titles for hours on end.  Later, I read several of the titles my grandfather had printed during his career as a pressman for Fawcett Printing.  Sure, recent years have seen the rise of other forms of comic art--notably graphic novels and manga--but there's still something special about a good old comic book.

Want to reminisce, introduce a young one to comics, or rediscover them yourself?  Well, Free Comic Book Day is just about the best way to do it, and it's coming up on May 7th - this very weekend!  FCBD is celebrated by comic stores across the US and Canada, as well as those in 40 countries around the world.  Basically, it boils down to "visit your local store, get a free comic (or 2 or 3, and maybe a free figurine or ring...)," and it doesn't get much better than that!  This will be the third year I've taken at least one of my kids out for FCBD, and it's always a fun time for us.  There are 37 titles in this year's FCBD lineup, so your local store is bound to have something that tickles your fancy.

Check out the FCBD website, find your local participating store, and go get some free goodies!

Free Comic Book Day

 

No comments: